Saturday, September 15, 2012

Backwards to Letters


Following eighth grade, my classes have always been held over three hundred miles away from home.

Sadly, this wasn’t because I received an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. No, those dreams of meeting Harry Potter Hermione Granger died long before my thirteenth birthday.

Instead, I was fortunate to have the opportunity of attending boarding school. From there, I went on to university – also some ways from home. Eight academic years without my family came with a few challenges. To begin with, I constantly craved my dad’s cooking. Then, there was the issue of laundry. Who would’ve known that duplicating keys for access to faculty washing machines could lead to cruel and unusual punishments?

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t change a single moment of these past eight years, save for the semester I registered for mathematical economics.

Other than that, I regret nothing because I was able to establish some truly rich friendships. We were all taking classes some three hundred miles away from home. Most were even farther, from Jamaica or Nepal. Together, we replicated faculty keysets and cried over difficult coursework.

But now that I’ve received my bachelors, my friends and I are somewhat scattered from one another. Some are in the process of completing new degrees while others have begun searching for jobs. We are no longer all in the same class, to say the least.

Of course, between tweets and emails, there are endless ways to stay in touch nowadays. The only problem is effort; as schedules and routines become busier, phone calls can turn into simple likes on a Facebook status. Perhaps, it is because we can so easily find each other that we often forget to do so. I suppose this is both a blessing and a curse of today’s technology.

So, I’ve decided to take a step backwards and write letters to a few close friends. Sure, the delivery may take longer, but at least I can share a few more stories with someone.

As for me, receiving a friend’s letter is always a happy experience. It’s the only thing I’m certain I want to read before reading any of it. You never know what to expect! Most recently, I tore open an envelope (Note: I was very excited, but I’m not nearly talented enough to describe unsealing envelopes with excitement) only to read, “…the sushi is actually a dollar cheaper than before.

What the heck…?

Turns out I had started reading on the wrong side of the letter.

Still, not even an invitation to Hogwarts could have been better.

What's the most interesting/memorable letter you've ever received? Do you write to far-away friends - or do you prefer other ways of keeping in touch?

3 comments:

  1. I've never really been a letter or a card person. I use email to keep in touch with friends overseas and meet for coffee with those who are near.

    I do have to admit since I shut down my FB account almost three years ago I'm probably out of the loop a lot more. But I don't mind that so much as I am able to concentrate on the friends who really matter to me. Since time goes so fast and it's so precious I really prefer it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, the longest I've ever deleted my FB account for was about an hour during finals week hahaha. Not that I'm addicted...I don't think...

      Delete
  2. That was a really nice read. Sometimes I'll exchange a letter with someone, but I'm terrible about getting to the post office to send them (down here in Nicaragua there's no stamps or mailboxes). I've moved around an awful lot in my life. I'd like to be closer to a lot of people in places I've lived before. Maybe though, the problem is not the simplicity of the 'like' button, but the fact that we are constantly reminded of the people we no longer have in our lives. What was once a simple pang of nostalgia becomes something that _feels_ possible to revisit because of our high connectivity. Yet, long distance communication can never compare to an in person interaction and leaves us wanting more.

    ReplyDelete

No spam please! (Unless it is in a can...)