Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Good Food Is Never Just About the Food


There are many milestones reached during one’s twenties – graduations, careers, and maybe even the start of a serious relationship. But as a guy who is hungry at all hours, I’d say cooking that first legitimate meal tops my list thus far.

No, I’m not counting the first time I toasted my PB&J sandwich. Rather, this was a dinner of baked rosemary chicken, couscous, and stir-fried vegetables. There might have even been homemade chocolate fondue (for the strawberries, of course), but I don’t really remember anymore.

Still, certainly more than one plate and butter knife had to be washed afterwards.

I had cooked for my housemates and a few friends, and with some good conversation and laughs, the evening made for some pretty damn good memories.

So since then, I've tried to cook as often as I could. Alongside some new recipes, I've also come across a few invaluable lessons as well. For example...

Fried eggs, rice seasoning, and baked drumsticks. Occasionally, the simplest fixings can make for the most delicious lunch plates. With some thoughtfulness, a lot can come from just a few things.



On the other hand, Japanese curry chicken requires numerous ingredients and long hours. Pretty daunting task, yeah? It is – but don’t be afraid to give it a try! Nothing great’s ever come about without taking a risk first.



Also, a grilled chicken – with olive oil, oat nut bread, provolone cheese and spinach – sandwich can never go wrong.


But, I’d be remiss if you got the impression that I’m proud simply for having learned a few recipes. After all, good food is never just about the food. Instead, I owe it to cooking for having brought friends together, whether it was sharing food at a housewarming potluck, or enjoying one last dinner before she went abroad.

As for that dinner, I do remember having chocolate fondue with strawberries. And it was damn good.

What are your favorite dishes to make? More importantly, what are the most fulfilling endeavors of your twenties? (If you’re under 20, what are you looking forward to?)

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe what a good cook you are! I was reading this just as I finished microwaving something called a "rice burger" (the bun is rice and inside it's strips of beef) and I feel disgusting! Hahaha, but I suppose my favorite meal to make is American breakfast food! It's so simple but always so, so delicious.

    My most fulfilling endeavor was leaving Seattle! I miss it but I wanted an adventure abroad and now I live in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I've never heard of a rice burger, but now I want to try it!

      Wow, moving from Seattle to Japan must be quite breathtaking - your blog definitely shows it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you!

      Also...you do not want to try the rice burger...

      Delete
  2. That sandwich looks pretty tasty. Gonna try it sometime !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have too many dishes that I love to make to pick just one!!! I must say though that sandwich is making my mouth water right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't do a lot of cooking in my 20s as I was too busy drinking, dancing and eating out but now in my 30s especially with all the cooking shows like Master Chef I get into it a lot more (when I can).

    We're actually hosting my bf's work Christmas party at our place this year and we are planning on cooking a 3 course meal for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am under 20 and LOVE cooking (and I am a guy). I only like to cook foods I like though- Broccoli, rice, pastas, soups, steaks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I tend to do that as well, only cook foods I like, which is limited to curries and stir fry. But I am branching out more nowadays!

      Delete

No spam please! (Unless it is in a can...)