Tuesday, October 30, 2012

First


First things first.

Her name is Volia and the first time she said, “No, thank you” was before I could even ask her out!

She is my beautiful Belarusian friend, with powdered blue eyes, blonde hair and a gift to never have a single, comprehensible conversation with me. So when I invited her to spend a day in Boston, she misunderstood my gesture and wrote back a long response, which can be aptly summarized as, “No, thank you.” Of course!

This was the bittersweet beginning of a warm friendship and, over the years, we bonded over small problems (Macroeconomics presentation? For tomorrow?!) and shared a few relationship secrets (Date with him? Tomorrow?!). Somewhere in-between, we even learned to play squash and overcame language barriers of “Heh?” and “What?”

But just as a hot cup of cocoa has to cool at some point, our everyday bond eventually came to an end. Now, she is back at the university, writing her honors thesis on business regulations and I am doing a finance fellowship in another city. So much for practicing squash together.

So much for Boston.

A few weeks ago, I received a letter from her. On a creased piece of paper, she told me of her worries when thinking about life after college. How will she stay in touch with friends? Should she apply for graduate programs, or start searching for jobs? What if she finds failure and disappointment?

I wrote back, “Volia, you shouldn’t be afraid of failure. No one’s ever succeeded without falling a few times, so don’t be afraid to succeed.”

Though, on the inside, I’m just as scared. How do I establish a stable career path in this economy? When will I be able to support my family? Can I stay healthy, mentally and physically? What if all I find is failure and disappointment?

No, thank you!

This past weekend, I visited my university and celebrated Volia’s birthday with her. It was refreshing to see her, not because of overdue squash matches or for her powdered blue eyes, but because she reminds me to always work hard. Forget about worrying and, instead, spend that time focused on the tasks in front – honors thesis or fellowship.

More importantly, I am reminded to always treasure the moments with my beautiful Belarusian friend. After all, laughter is just as serious as work. So, along with long hugs and dinner, Volia smiled and joked, “Okay, no more Boston. How about we do D.C. next?”

Yes, please!

Footnote: All names have been changed for privacy and safety purposes - you know, in case I ever end up as a CIA agent.

Footnote 2: This post is titled "First" because it is the first time that I mention a specific person, what I do and where I am (approximately). 

12 comments:

  1. I found this quote about success and it is one of my favorites that I like to strive to live by...

    Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it.

    Of course we all stress success and reaching our dreams but, after being out here in the "Real World" for 4 years now ..I realized success on somedays comes in the form of a long nap, getting to work 5 minutes early , a cup of my favorite type of coffee, and swimming in the ocean.My list could go on and on if I think about it and now that I think about it none of my success list really has to do with academics or my job ,but whose life I am touching around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KL, that's a lovely quote. Thank you for sharing! :)

      You're right, success does come from the little things and on the lives you touch. Can't forget that! For me right now, it's about developing the ability to do that as well. I want to make sure I have the practical means of having a positive influence on someone else.

      Delete
  2. Recently I wrote a letter to a friend of mine. He was very worried about his future and unsure which road to take. In the letter, I quoted a passage from "The Mixquiahuala Letters," a little feminist book about the friendship of two women, in which the author describes our twenties. She alludes to them as a "cesspool," not only for the dirty little things we may do, but for the utter chaotic confusion many of us experience during this time.

    I also wrote my friend about the way our generation was raised. We were one of the first generations---if not the first---to be taught the adage, "You can be WHATEVER you want!" We were taught that if we wanted to be writers, we could be. If we strove to be President of the United States, we could be! In most ways, I wrote him, this was a wonderful way to be raised. I am a firm believer in entertaining my own passions, hedonistic as that may be. However, this school of thought has put those of us in our twenties at somewhat of a disadvantage.

    Yes, we can sure try to be whatever we want. We can be writers, but if that is our sole career, we may starve. We can try to get into politics, but we may lose our dignity in the process. We were taught to follow our dreams, but we were never told the consequences.

    This puts those of us who are swimming in this cesspool in an odd sort of position. And that makes some relationships hard, doesn't it?

    Ha, this comment kind of got away from me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, 20s are a time of discovery and excitement, but also a realization to the "consequences" you mentioned. As an individual, I think I am confused about most things, but determined to strive for something. It'll be interesting to see how this generation impacts society in the coming decades. We are the first to grow up without a Cold War, but face an socio-economic crisis instead. How much will we starve or lose dignity before we can change that?

      Delete
    2. Wonderfully put. I often wonder the same thing, especially since tomorrow is election day! More of our generation is able to vote now; how will we impact things?

      Delete
  3. I dunno, but life is scary. Optimism and be brave quotes are just in books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Be brave quotes" are found in books because they come from people who write about their own values. Life is scary, but if I don't look for my values, I might as well give up, yeah?

      Delete
  4. *sigh* Love this kind of inspirational stuff! Life is only daunting if you let it scare you. You've got a nice outlook, Jacky. Working hard on the task at hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marienni! I hope the optimism and working harder pays off!

      Delete
  5. That was actually a very refreshing read. My question is, however, did you ever like this girl? You mentioned at the start you hadn't a chance to ask her out. Did you ever want to act on such feelings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Harvey! I think, with this girl, anyone would fall in love at first sight! But all humor aside, no, I did not have such feelings. It was just an interesting way to start a friendship. :)

      Delete
    2. Fair point. I wish you all the best with her. :)

      Delete

No spam please! (Unless it is in a can...)