Thursday, November 15, 2012

Not For a Pulitzer Prize


Note to self: The word “erotic” is not interchangeable with “beautiful.”

It was a lesson learned the hard way when I wrote my first horror story – and wanted to describe the lead female character – in eighth grade. Since then, I like to think I've gained a bit more experience in writing through personal journals, research papers and magazines.

Unfortunately, at no point in time did I ever stop to acquire a love for poetry.

Partly, this is thanks to my inability to critically analyze any lines past “Roses are red, violets are blue.” During high school, interpreting the works of Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost was as difficult as AP Calculus!

But just as I have attempted to understand partial derivatives for the Lagrange multiplier, I am trying my hand at writing art. So, here is a short poem. It may not win the next Pulitzer Prize, but you have to start somewhere, yeah?

Just One Memory
So if you could know just one friend, who would you love?
And if you could love just one home, where would you dream?
And if you could dream just one moment, when would you see?
And if you could see just one memory, why would it be?

Let me know how you read it. And if you enjoy writing your own verses, please do share them!

Footnote: This poem was actually written many months ago, which means it’s been some time since I've tried poetry. I will have to get back into it! 

4 comments:

  1. Nice start! I'd love to hear another verse, or, perhaps, a verse connected to each current line and have the question at the beginning?

    I a a novice "poet" myself so, please, take my advice with a grain of salt.

    I literally just opened an account at Hello Poetry, which I will link to on my blog.

    Here's a link:

    http://hellopoetry.com/-sally-michelle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sally, I really enjoyed your poetry! Definitely keep at it. :)

      Yeah, this poem feels a bit incomplete to me as well! I'm almost unsure as to if it can be called a poem...

      Delete
  2. I'm no pro-poet or anything, but all my writing began as poetry.

    I enjoyed your poem, it walks the line of abstraction comfortably. I'd like just one more line, ending in a period. Something succinct and powerful to really drive it home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally hate poetry, but I can see what you've done here. The structure of your poem is consistent which I like. Can't stand poems that just toss and turn. You used a very defined structure and it's easy to understand. This poem could be a very powerful way of communicating one's feelings if modified.

    Great job, Jacky. :)

    ReplyDelete

No spam please! (Unless it is in a can...)